Thursday, June 29, 2006

Charred Souls

Stepping over the charred emptiness that once was a home it can be both depressing and eye opening. A half torched TV looks back at you as if to accuse you of waste but an untouched toaster oven in the next flooring area makes you wonder why some things make it through disasters. Always seems like the cheap stuff right? Ashes ashes everywhere as I add more with each dash of my cigarette. What was lost was too immeasurable to count and what I gained is again unmentionable due to anger and guilt.

3 rooms can be saved if it were that easy but they will come down. You do not rebuild an entire 2 story house around 3 rooms. You rebuild the house. Stepping out back the glare of the shiny mud mocks with a temperament of disdain. All this water could have saved your abode had it made it where it needed to go. Stepping on the mud it decides to give a little slide but I barely notice due to the millions of thoughts that are bombarding me at this moment. Everyone is physically safe although some of the pets are lost. Lost as in ran away when we shovelled them out not as in lost in the fire. They may come back around I may just not be here for their return.

A new time has come in my life. A time to give up the old and allow the dead to be cut away like chaff. Who decides what is wheat and what is chaff, I dont know. The front yard has been destroyed. Not that it was all that great before with its dead spots and such but between the mud mix and the heavy trucks and cars moving along it... it is pretty much a woodstock mudpit.

The driveway is intact, the concrete porch will need to be shattered and redone and the glass in the 2nd story room used as an office is unscathed. All items in that room however, will need to be replaced. The master bedroom is gone, nothing but a blackened pit of what it used to be. And to think I barely made it out due to exhaustion and lack of sleep paying its toll on me. I could have slept through it all like an alarm clock...

But I didnt... This time.

-TwKlMn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home